As I recover from the most overrated holiday known to January, I thought that instead of dwelling on negatives (like '1,017 Reasons NYE Can SUCK IT') I would chuck a little product review your way.
I recently had a Sephora melt-down and bought all the things. I wanted to get the chance to really use the products before potentially wasting everyone's time even mentioning them here, but one purchase has been a mucho pleasant surprise: the Smashbox #SHAPEMATTERS Palette.
Here are the reasons I am all over this palette these days:
1. The contour palette- the palette within the palette. First let me preface this by saying I stumbled upon this little box of wonders while looking for a contour only palette, so bodacious contour offerings were priority numero uno. The Sephora sales chick who was stalking me despite my attempts to shake her by avoiding eye contact at all costs and a little crop dusting, finally broke down my walls by talking shit about a palette I was eyeballing (and by eyeballing I mean rubbing swatches all over every spare patch of exposed skin on my body). She kept pushing this Smashbox version on me and I assumed it was because it cost a zillion dollars. Which SHOULD be assumed considering everything that is included, but we'll get there. The contour 'zone' of this palette includes four simple-to-use colors: an ashy shade for contouring, a bronzer, a matte highlighter, and a 'glowy' highlighter. They are SUPER easy to use, layer-able, nicely pigmented, and I love them.
2. In addition to the contour products, there are NINE eyeshadows and legit ALL of them are amazing colors. I have actually used every single one of them which is out of character for me. I typically use the same select few in my palettes and then eventually feel bad for the short-bus colors that have gone so obviously unused that I give them a whirl and then regret it every time I look at my mug in the mirror that day. The shades in this palette work for a natural to dramatic look and I love them.
3. But oh wait, there's more. Yup, there are two eyebrow powders and a wax. Now these are my least favorite of the palette but by least favorite I mean I love them just a fraction less than the others and the ONLY reason is that the shades are a tad lighter than the Anastasia Brow Powder Duo that I'm obsessed with. And I haven't quite figured out the wax, but let's be real, I'm probably doing it wrong.
4. It comes with a pretty decent brush. I typically hoard these under my bathroom sink because even though the brushes accompanying palettes by some apparent mandate have to suck (Urban Decay Naked Palette, not to put you on blast but...) I have a hard time chucking them. This brush isn't earth shattering (oh, but I actually just bought one that is. ok next post.), but I've definitely used it a bunch.
5. OK here's the real kicker- it's only $55!!!!!!!!!!! Probably not a complete surprise because if you're like me the FIRST thing you did while reading this post was scope out was the price, you spoilar-alert psycho you, but still, I need to say it: "ALL THIS CAN BE YOURS FOR ONE EASY PAYMENT OF $55" (not a zillion). So. Totally. Worth. It. I recently went to San Fran for a weekend and after accepting United Airlines' dare to only pack a carry-on (or rather spending that $50 on booze) I was looking to trim my arsenal every way possible. I packed this palette along with some foundation, mascara, eye-liner, and lip-gloss and was able to happily live off those rations. If that isn't an endorsement, I don't know what is.
Last thing- in a rabid organizing frenzy I came up with a new method of palette storage. All it requires is an old mail sorter your office won't miss and some gold spray paint.